Sunday, October 26, 2014

AR2192

With a diameter of about 80,000 miles, nearly the size of Jupiter, sunspot AR2192 is the largest observed in this current 11 year solar cycle. Another way to think about it, it's about 14 times the Earth's diameter.


After a week of clouds and rain, I finally got a chance to observe AR2192 with my own eyes this morning. It is the most complex and largest sunspot I've ever seen. I will be observing throughout the day as my angle between the trees and passing clouds allows.

AR2192 has thrown several X-class flares, the latest this morning that likely caused interruption of radio signals in Africa.

For more on AR2192:

Jupiter Sized Sunspot (Sky & Telescope)
Freakish Sunspot Wows Astronomers (NPR)
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Largest Sunspot in 20 Years (Washington Post)

PLEASE OBSERVE THE SUN SAFELY - only look at the sun using a proper solar filter, looking directly at the sun without a proper filter will result in permanent damage to your eyes and your equipment. I use an AstroZapp Baader Film filter on my telescopes. The small investment allows me to make use of the telescopes during the day as well as at night. Targeting the sun takes practice as you will have to do it indirectly. Cap or remove your spotting scopes and use the shadow of the telescope to aim by minimizing the shadow. I've also made a sun spotter for the C8 from a couple of cardboard disks and a short length of wood. This attaches to the main tube of the scope with Velcro. The disks are several cm in diameter with a hole punched top center. The rear disk has paper glued over the hole. By aligning the spot of light on the back hole, I am able to get the telescope aimed at the sun quite easily. There are also commercial products like this.

Go out and (safely) observe our nearest star!

No comments:

Post a Comment